Labels

Friday 31 July 2015

Life is a Choose Your Own Adventure Story

So often people end up in a mindset of limited possibilities. Unfortunately, it is not uncommon.  We begin to think that there must be more to life, but we just don't know where to go from here.  We consider possibilities but often think they are out of our reach.  The "grass always looks greener on the other side" complex hits us, and instead of spurring us on to bigger and better things, it stabilizes us in a holding pattern. Ironically, this is usually not the pattern we want to be in. In my view, I like to use the analogy of the choose your own adventure story.  In the mindset of limited possibilities, you will simply end up with just that - limited adventure options. There is no doubt.

I've been in this place of the fixed mindset from time to time.  I don't want to say it's chronic for me, but I know I have been there.  It starts with thoughts and comments that begin with things like  "I could never...", "I would find that difficult...", "That's impossible....". My thoughts limit my actions and in turn I am left standing still. Yet, time marches on.

Recently I have read the book "Growth Mindset" by Carol Dweck.  I was inspired to read this book by my very active #PLN on Twitter, and I can definitively say it has opened my eyes to the power of the mindset. Now when you read the book, you are first asked to understand your own mindset by being presented with a few simple statements.  You are to agree or disagree with each. Here are some examples:

"1. Your intelligence is something very basic about you that you can't change very much.
 2. No matter how much intelligence you have, you can always change it quite a bit.
 3. No matter what kind of person you are you can always change it substantially.
 4. You can do things differently, but the important parts of who you are can't really be changed." (Dweck, 2006)
  
Now these are just 4 of the questions provided in the book to help you better evaluate your own mindset.  If you want to read them all, you will have to read the book (hint, hint). Once you think you have determined which mindset you have, the growth mindset or fixed mindset (or maybe a little of both as the author points out), it is important to look at your actions.  Do your daily actions affirm the mindset you identify with?  If not, is that because you need to shift your mindset, or simpler yet, change your actions to suit your current mindset. What is it they say?  Actions speak louder than words?  In that case that same principle can be applied to mindset.

So back to the choose your own adventure... These past few weeks, inspired by my new interest in mindset, I have not only been evaluating my own mindset, but the perceived mindset of others I come across that seem to "have it all".  Now, having it all is probably an exaggeration and likely best left to talk more about in another blog post.  After all, what does "have it all" really mean anyways? However, my recent journey through social media has had me stumbling on so many inspirational educators that are doing so many amazing things. Further to that I have come across some self-made entrepreneurs who are just oozing with passion and success. I found myself wondering what it was about these people that made them appear to have no fear to try things, share things and even cultivate ideas, even movements!  They were clearly successful at whatever they were doing, across various industries and platforms. I wanted to get an understanding of what made them stand out from the others and achieve such success.

After listening to their podcasts, watching several of their videos and reading up on some of their bio's, it soon became crystal clear why these people were so successful in life.  It wasn't because they did not have fear!  Despite their obvious risk taking, they all spoke of not ever being too sure of things at times in their lives. It wasn't because they never failed at something, because many of them talked about their down and out times. They all spoke about the fact that their reality had not always been what they had envisioned for themselves.  What seemed to be fueling their success and influence on others was actually an aha moment of growth mindset and drive to want more! They all visualized what they wanted their life to be, without doubt, and without limits!

My informal research into success through the lens of mindset, has confirmed much, if not all, of what Carol Dweck speaks of in her book.  It has changed the way I view my future. It has changed the way I view the future of my family. Instead of a future with some possibilities, it has become a future of limitless possibilities. If you haven't read the book, I encourage you to do so.  Me... I've read the book. Now I am moving on to maximize what I have learned and live the very best choose your own adventure story I can!

References
Dweck. C. (2006). Mindset the new psychology of success. United States: Ballantyne Books Trade Paperback Edition.





5 comments:

  1. I love the idea of life being a "choose your own adventure" book! Those were super fun to read when I was a kid, and bring back great memories.
    But on the serous side, you are inspiring me to read Dwight's book. I have heard her say that she doesn't like when people misinterpret growth mindset for forcing students to redo the same task the same way and thinking it was somehow teaching "grit." Now that I've read your post, I'm going to have to check this book out myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth, I can't say enough about this book. I highly reccomend putting it on your must read list. You will not only gain insight into yourself, but others as well. I am certain it will highly influence your teaching practices.

      Delete
  2. I used to read those books; the adventure always ended too soon.
    I haven't read the book, Tracy, but I've been thinking a lot about learned helplessness recently and how limiting it is.
    Thanks for the post

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tracey-thanks for the article on your blog and Linkedin. Similar to my friend Anna-reading books was a romance I enjoyed once-until the humdrum of life overtook that simple but true romance. Yes- re-interpret Impossible-as 'I am possible' . Thank you for the inspiration. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Seema, Thanks for your feedback. I am just getting the groove of blogging and love that you are a new reader. Thanks for the encouragement!

      Delete